Reunidas is a family company which produces various ceramic products in the state of Tocantins, Brazil. In order to fuel its kilns and produce 5 million items per year, the factory used to extract 12,000 m3/year of native firewood from the surrounding Cerrado biome. Reunidas implemented the carbon credit project in 2007 with the goal of reducing its environmental impacts while modernizing technology. The project allowed the company to cease collecting Cerrado firewood in favour of using renewable biomass as fuel, such as rice husks. Apart from creating GHG reductions, the project promotes investment in improving work conditions and benefits for the community due to the income from carbon credit sales.Download PDF
When buying carbon credits of this project you are supporting , sponsoring , financing and making possible the reduction of greenhouse gases and various initiatives in the social scope , environmental and economic as the following:
• Social responsibility: Funding and buildingmaterial donated to variouslocal institutions.
• Social inclusion:Job opportunities created for women, illiterate people, and ex-convicts.
• Leisure: Football groundmade available to employees.
• Reforestation: Eucalyptustrees planted in a 6 hectare area for future use asrenewable biomass.
• Waste management: Rubbish separation and re-use of waste products, such as ashes, which are donated to regional farmers.
• 100%industrial waste used asfuel:Use of rice husks asfuel for the ceramic kilns.
• Partnership with SEBRAE for training courses for environmental management practices and how to minimize environmental impacts
• Management modernization: Participation in the “Supplier Development” program aiming to add value to ceramic pieces.
• Renovation of facilities: Security grating installed on machinery and new bathrooms and cloakrooms built to improve workers’ wellbeing and safety conditions.